My “50 Shades of Grey” Conundrum

So, here’s the deal. We’ve all heard about the bestseller 50 Shades of Grey and its sequels, especially now that it’s about to come to theaters. A lot of people have very strong opinions about it…to both extremes.
Personally, I have not read it. But for about a year or so, I’ve been going back and forth between whether I want to read it or not.
A short list of why I want to read 50 Shades of Grey:

–It’s a bestseller, and apparently I’m all about “bandwagon books”
–I’m pretty against the entire premise and the content of what is in the book, but I don’t agree with being against something that you know nothing about.

To say that I dislike or disagree with the content of 50 Shades of Grey would be just like people blindly claiming that they hate Harry Potter because it involves witchcraft. To which my reply is always, “Have you even read the book?
Generally, though, my religion would say to stay away from anything that might be perceived as being unholy or unwholesome. And to an extent, I agree with that. I mean, I’m pretty against the use of heroin but I’m not going to go give it a try just so I can have an educated opinion on the matter.
Another point to consider: If I do happen to be against the book, I don’t want to buy it and contribute to the franchise. Not that my $2.99 will make much a difference in the grand scheme of things, but the principle is there. But there’s a solution to that, of course–libraries.
I don’t care to see the movie. The trailer alone makes me uncomfortable.
(It does, however, have a great soundtrack.)
I want to say the relationship portrayed in the book is abusive. I want to say that it’s wrong. I want to know why the BDSM community says that it is not an accurate portrayal.
But do I really want to read the book?
Generally, my advice to myself is to not force myself to endure something that I know I will not enjoy. If I read this book, it will not be for pleasure–it will be so I can support my opinion on the matter. But why is that so important? If I’m not interested in it, why not just keep my mouth shut and go on my merry way? So what if other people like it? How is that bothering me?
On the other hand, though, I’m immensely curious. And if I read it, what am I afraid of? That I’ll actually like it? That other people will judge me for it? That I’ll be persuaded into thinking that everything about it is okay? I mean, I want to read Mein Kampf, but I don’t think I’ll be idolizing Adolf Hitler anytime soon. Just because I read something doesn’t mean I have to agree with it.
10 Hot '50 Shades of Grey' Quotes That Will Make You Fall in Love All Over Again (PHOTOS) | The Stir
Still in a conundrum. But here’s the version of “Crazy in Love” from the trailer:

P.S. Laci Green has a video over 50 Shades, which can be seen here.

–Emily

8 Comments

1. Janelle
    February 11, 2015

You have voiced my thoughts exactly. Maybe we should both read it.

2. Anonymous
    February 11, 2015

Right is right and wrong is wrong ….you either know that or you don't..

3. This comment has been removed by the author.

4. I think you should read whatever you want to read, but honestly, I don't think I'll ever pick up Fifty Shades of Grey. I don't like mature books, and this book kind of sounds like the epitome of that. I'm also way younger than you, so that factors into the equation as well. I say read what you would like to read.

5. Emily
    February 12, 2015

I think that's the first time I've heard anyone say that they were "way younger" than me. BRB as I go grab a cane and a pipe and start reading the newspaper on park benches… =)

I think you're right, though–people should be able to read whatever they want to read. Generally, I love YA books, but I've started to read more adult books now in college. Definitely nothing like this, though.
    Thanks for your comment. =)

6. Katie
    February 16, 2015

I think it's been taken to a whole new level of judgement, I don't think anyone can tell you what to read or watch unless they abstain from any tv or literature. It amuses me how on Facebook someone will post a status condemning it, just for someone else to comment about something that person enjoys and it becomes a war of defending everyone's activities.

That being said, I was a cashier when these books exploded, and the mixture of being terribly bored and my rising curiosity, as they flew off the shelves, resulted in me purchasing all three of the books. (Which I regretted soon enough.) I was uncomfortable reading the first book, not because I'm a prude or the sexual content, but because the protagonist is not always willing, and humiliated and angry. If glorified abuse wasn't enough, it was very poor writing and character development. The author admitted she was heavily influenced by twilight, and you can tell, so it's very hard to take seriously. I couldn't finish the first book, and put them in the break room and told everyone they were up for grabs. I would suggest you not waste your time or money, but I wouldn't condemn anyone for reading them.

7. Emily
    February 17, 2015

Thanks Katie, your comment is very helpful. Knowing that the writing quality is poor makes me less inclined to give it a go.

8. Faith
    February 17, 2015

hello friend! first time on your blog and so far I have liked what Ive read!

thanks for sharing your thoughts on this very controversial matter. I agree with everything you've said here. I cant really say anything about the book or movie considering Ive never read it or even went so far as to watch the trailer, Im just gonna keep my mouth shut on the matter. which is something I rarely do. lol.

anyhow, I really like your blog! you've got a new follower here! I cant to read more about your life and such and get to know you better.
    have a great day! God bless you!

princessfaithm.blogspot.com