ten UK book covers that got it right.

Today I’m comparing US covers to UK covers. I don’t always like UK covers more than US covers, but when I do, man it’s painful. Because I either a) don’t have access to it, or b) have to pay forever more money to get my hands on it. Sad day.

A few quick notes: I haven’t read all of these, so the cover that I prefer might not actually be the one that fits the story the best. It’s all about personal preference, so don’t get offended if we disagree (but be sure to calmly tell me about it in the comments)! Also this topic is kinda hard to research so please tell me if I got anything wrong.

~~~

Today I’m linking up with The Broke and the Bookish for a Top Ten Tuesday!

This week’s theme: cover theme freebie
My theme: Top Ten UK book covers that I love more than the US edition.

(US edition on left, UK edition on right)

9361589 10860047

The Night Circus //  Erin Morgenstern
I don’t hate the US cover of this, but I would much rather have the UK version. I like the focus on the characters rather than the hand, which I think is oddly drawn. I do like the title and embellishments better on the US edition, though. BUT I think the UK hardcover comes with black trimmed pages, which I want.

27883214 30964236

Caraval // Stephanie Garber
I haven’t actually read this book, but I hear it’s like a YA version of The Night Circus so…fitting. Both of these are beautiful covers, but I love the dark brown + gold color scheme of the UK edition.

16034235 13519397

Throne of Glass // Sarah J. Maas
I mean, what a difference the background makes, am I right? I would never, ever buy the US editions (although they are better than this monstrosity). I would probably never pick them up in the store. But I love the white background in the UK editions. I love it so much. But it will never be mine.  😥

68428 6547258

The Final Empire (Mistborn series) // Brandon Sanderson
I’ve never read this series, but I mean…just look at that difference! Who ever thought those US  covers were okay? And who designed the UK covers because they should design literally everything all the time. They are so gorgeous that I don’t even know or care what this series is about. I just want them all.

22544764 25068467

Uprooted // Naomi Novik
I also haven’t read this, but I’ve seen the US cover in my library and shudder every time. What is going on here? I mean, both of them are a bit busy, but I love the colors and uniqueness of the UK cover.

18806240 31683270

Bone Gap // Laura Ruby
(I haven’t read this yet either but I checked it out from the library.) Normally I’d be all for the US cover on this one because I’m a fan of minimalism. The UK cover would normally throw me way off. But I’ve actually always hated the US cover for some reason? I’m not sure why. It’s never looked like a book I’ve wanted to read. But when I saw the UK version recently, it was like love at first sight. It renewed my interest by a thousand.

19063 893136

The Book Thief // Markus Zusak
I’m not saying the US cover is bad, but there’s something about the simplicity and incongruity of Liesel dancing with Death. I think this cover captures the actual story much better.

8909152 10600010

Attachments // Rainbow Rowell
Again, I don’t dislike the US edition, but the UK edition is just better. I like the colors much more, and I feel like it actually looks like an adult book, whereas the US edition looks very YA. (The UK edition also reminds me of Paperman.)

23149128 25443389

Extraordinary Means // Robyn Schneider
The US cover isn’t bad, but it isn’t…extraordinary? The tree/lungs of the UK cover really makes it stand out. If they could only swap the font with something more like the US cover, it would be perfect.

23830990 22910900

The Rest of Us Just Live Here // Patrick Ness
I haven’t read this yet, but bought it on Kindle and was surprised to find that the cover was not the same cover I was used to. I’m assuming the US cover has more to do with the actual characters and story, but the UK cover is so aesthetically pleasing. I love the font. I love the graphic. I love the blue beam of light behind the title.

–Emily

~~~
Do you usually like US or UK covers?
What are some UK covers that you totally, completely love?
Do you live in the UK and want to ship me any of these?
(joking, joking. mostly.)

19 Comments

1. Mari
    May 2, 2017

Haha, I do love the Night Circus cover from the UK better! I actually didn’t have much of a problem with the Uprooted and Mistborn ones. Actually, I loved the US Mistborn copy, though mostly because of what The Hero of Ages looked like (but I am based and love the trilogy and Vin, so yeah).

Really neat twist on the TTT!

1. Emily Seals
      May 3, 2017

I guess I need to read the Mistborn series. I’ve heard a bit of a buzz around it lately.

I think my problem is that I don’t like covers that look like generic fantasy novels, like with the US Uprooted. But a lot of people love it. 🙂 I’m just picky.

2. Awesome post! I adore comparing covers from different countries. I thought the US cover for Caraval was beautiful…until I saw the UK cover! I just love the color scheme on it! I do live in the UK (I’m American) and as I was reading I thought “aww I wish I could send you that book!” 🙂

1. Emily Seals
      May 3, 2017

It’s so interesting to see the different designs! I felt the same way about the Caraval cover. I was all for the US version until I saw the other one.
      I hope you’re liking the UK! I should plan a trip sometime so I can pick up all the books I have on my wishlist. XD

3. I agree with you completely on The Rest of Us Just Live Here and Attachments, and I actually bought the entire Mistborn series because I loved the covers – I still have no idea what the books are about, because I haven’t had the time to read them yet!
    But I disagree on Caraval and Bone Gap. I absolutely adore both of the US versions (luckily I got the US version of Caraval in an Owlcrate box, but haven’t been able to find a US copy of Bone Gap in the UK – yet!).

1. Emily Seals
      May 3, 2017

I do like the US Caraval cover. I really liked it when I first saw it. But then I saw the UK cover and there was no going back.
      I seem to be in the minority of disliking US Bone Gap. I don’t even know why it turns me off so much. I hope you find the version you like, though!

4. Cait @ Paper Fury
    May 3, 2017

I like so many of these UK covers WAY better too.😂 Although I confess I adore both the Bone Gap covers equally. <3 And like generally I do think the US is usually better?!?? But the UK has many epic moments. And in Oz we generally get the UK covers haha, so I have to get used to them. I however am way more in favourite of the US version of the Hate U Give!
    Cait @ Paper Fury recently posted…10 Types Of YA Book Covers For Your Little Eyeballs To Judge (Plus Quiz For How You’d Look If You, Too, Were a Book Cover)My Profile

1. Emily Seals
      May 3, 2017

I also like the US cover of The Hate U Give. I love the use of negative space.

It’s too bad they don’t switch the US and UK covers for hardback/paperback. That way we could have our pick. 🙂

5. Sue @ Crushingcinders
    May 3, 2017

I love your take on this weeks TTT. I usually prefer the UK cover but the US cover of Caraval is so pretty. I would love to know what you think of the And I Darken covers which I wrote a post about: http://crushingcinders.com/complexity-book-covers
    Sue @ Crushingcinders recently posted…Illogical Book CoversMy Profile

1. Emily Seals
      May 9, 2017

They did a great job on both Caraval covers! They’re both so pretty.

I’ve never read And I Darken, but I’m really amazed by how the MOOD shifts so much between the two. They look like completely different stories. But I like both of them!

6. Jo
    May 3, 2017

Great topic! I live in the UK, so the books on this list that I own, I have these covers for. I love The Book Thief cover, sadly it is not the cover of the edition I own!
    Jo recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday #105My Profile

1. Emily Seals
      May 9, 2017

There are quite a few covers of The Book Thief. I saw a different one just the other day and was floored by how great it was. The US cover is just okay…but the book is amazing regardless. 🙂

7. I actually prefer UK covers! They’re usually so much more stunning than their US ones. I don’t know how they do it but, having options when it comes to which cover to go for is always a good idea!

1. Emily Seals
      May 9, 2017

I love having options! I just feel boxed in to the US cover most of the time. XD Most of the time it’s not so bad…but every once in awhile I will just refuse to buy a book because I know there’s a prettier cover out there that I hope to someday have.

8. I find a lot of UK covers are usually better than their US counterparts … I love the cover for Uprooted! I agree with you on the US one – like, what is going on?? It does seem like an almost typical fantasy cover though. I love the UK covers for Attachments, Bone Gap, and The Final Empire. I also love that we can actually buy UK covers easily … can you imagine if we could never have them on our physical shelves?

1. Emily Seals
      May 9, 2017

I don’t have any UK covers on my shelves. :'(
      (What’s the easiest way to get them? Do you just order them online and pay more for shipping?)

Uprooted looks like an entirely different book! On the right: frolicking through a fairy land. On the left: secrets and poison apples and terror. (I don’t know which one is actually more accurate.)
      Emily Seals recently posted…Why I Hate The Prisoner of Azkaban FilmMy Profile

9. Chrystal
    May 5, 2017

I like both for The Night Circus and Caraval. I like the UK covers most except for The Rest of Us Live Here and Bone Gap.

1. Emily Seals
      May 9, 2017

Yeah, sometimes they hit it spot-on both times. 🙂
      The US cover for The Rest of Us Just Live Here is okay. I guess I like the different characters and how the main ones are in more color. But there’s just something about the UK cover that draws me in. I would completely skip over the US cover in a bookstore.

10. Rissi
    May 17, 2017

Both versions of “Caraval” are stunning! That said, the gold does add that extra “something” that makes the book stand out. “Attachments” is also really cute (UK) too! I’m like you, and like the colors and how they help the cover “pop” with added personality. 🙂
    Rissi recently posted…A Lesson in Love and Murder by Rachel McMillan – Smart and Sassy Detecting Duo ReturnMy Profile