ten books on my bookshelf that I’ll probably never read

I’m going to be honest and tell you guys a little secret: I like buying and owning books more than reading them. I know! I’m terrible! And as a result, I own many, many books that I haven’t read.

This week, the prompt is to list ten books that you’ll probably never read. I’m changing that slightly to “ten books from my bookshelf that I’ll probably never read,” because there are a lot of books out there in the world that I’m definitely never going to read, so this narrows it down a bit. (Plus, if you guys decide that I should read one of these, I’ll have easy access to it. Or if anyone wants to borrow my copy.) So here we go.

Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1) The Casual Vacancy

Eragon by Christopher Paolini
I think I missed my window for this one. I bought this book ages ago, I think when I was still in middle school, but never got around to reading it. And now I’m a bit older and less inclined to read fantasy and series, so I’m not sure I’ll ever get around to it.

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs
I purchased this book after I unknowingly bought its sequel because it looked interesting. A few years later, I found this for really cheap at Goodwill. I haven’t read either of them yet, and I’m not sure I’m interested enough to want to.

The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling
I want to read this, I do! But it’s pretty big, and I’m not sure what it’s about, and I’ve heard mixed things about it, and I don’t want to tarnish the god-like image that I have of J. K. Rowling in my mind. I’m nervous and I’m not sure it’s worth putting my fears aside for.

2893605 The Blind Assassin

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo
Again, I want to read this! The story really intrigues me. But again, it’s really large, and French (not that this is bad, I just feel like the names/places/etc will be confusing and difficult to remember), and I feel like it’s not going to be as exciting as I want it to be.

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
I realize that this is one of the greatest novels of the 20th century, but it intimidates me! I’m afraid that it’s going to be too complex and everything is going to just fly right over my head.

The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood
I bought this because I wanted to own something by Margaret Atwood and they were currently out of The Handmaid’s Tale. Since then, I’ve purchased and read The Handmaid’s Tale, which I liked but need to read again because a lot of it was lost on me. And I thought, The Blind Assassin must be good, because it’s the only Atwood book that’s won the Booker prize. Then I heard an instructor talking about how that this was ironic because it was her worst novel. I’m also a little nervous that I won’t be able to follow the plot on this one. HOWEVER I did just read a good review over it, so maybe I’ll give it a chance? Maybe.

Wicked by Gregory Maguire
I’ve never really been a big fan of the whole Wicked thing. I saw the musical in London once, which was great even though I kept falling asleep (not the fault of the play–I hadn’t gotten any sleep the night before). I’m interested in this story, but probably not enough to sift through this giant novel.

We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
This was my sister’s book, which she was going to sell in a yardsale until I saved it. The premise is interesting, but I’ve read other books–really good books–with pretty much the same topic, so it might be a little overdone for me.

And Then There Were None

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
I bought this around the same time as I bought Eragon because I didn’t own anything by Agatha Christie.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
The only thing I know about this book is that it’s another crime/mystery thing, which really isn’t my favorite genre. I hear it’s pretty good, but I’m just not that interested.

I realize that these are all probably worth reading–that’s why I bought them in the first place! I’ve just since lost interest.

I do value your opinion, though, so let me know–Are there any books on this list that you think I absolutely, without-a-doubt, MUST read? Are there books are on your bookshelf that you don’t think you’ll ever get around to? Do you only buy books that you know you will read, or do you buy books for the sake of buying them?

–Emily

28 Comments

1. Stephanie
    May 5, 2015

And Then There Were None is my favorite Christie! But if you're not a fan of mysteries, probably not for you, lol. Also really enjoyed Wicked very much though I read it shortly after it came out so it's been ages!

2. Chrissi Reads
    May 5, 2015

I don't think I'll ever read the Millenium trilogy. They just don't interest me at all. I thought Wicked was quite boring and was let down by The Casual Vacancy 🙁

3. I don't think I will ever pick up The Casual Vacancy, it just seems to be one of those books that I don't find interest in sadly.

My TTT: http://simplybookishthings.blogspot.com/2015/05/top-ten-tuesday-5-ten-books-ill.html

4. Beth
    May 5, 2015

I enjoyed The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I didn't much care for the rest of the series, but the first one was good. And I have mixed feelings about The Hunchback of Notre Dame… I read the first few chapters a few years back, but couldn't really get into it. I know it's going to be heartbreaking, which is not really something I'm in the mood for!
    Beth x

5. Jo Elliott
    May 5, 2015

I had The Casual Vacancy on my list too, for exactly the same reasons as you, I don't want to tarnish the image I've built of JK Rowling as a writer after HP. I haven't read the book We Need To Talk About Kevin, but if you like the concept and just don't want to read the book, then the movie is really good.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/05/top-ten-tuesday-3/

6. Grace @ Rebel Mommy BookBlog
    May 5, 2015

I have only read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series from your list but I really enjoyed it although it started slow. The rest I have no strong opinions on either way so I doubt I will read them.

7. Cait
    May 5, 2015

Just skip Wicked and read Dorothy Must Die! XD I fell asleep halfway through Wicked and finally DNF'd it and I neeeever DNF books! So yeah. It was boring. hehe. I do want to try Eragon one day! I tried to read it when I was like 15, but I got bored and abandoned. But it's REALLY bugging me that I don't know how it ended up! So I think I will finish it!

Here's my TTT!

8. debnance
    May 5, 2015

I've read several of these and I say yard-sale them all. No big loss.

Here's mine!

9. Michelle Ross
    May 5, 2015

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo made my list as well. I just can't jump on that bandwagon.

Here's my full list:

10. elena
    May 5, 2015

omg I don't think I'll read the Casual Vacancy either!!! I have a signed copy but I just don't have any interest in reading it. love her Robert Galbraith stuff though!

11. Emily Seals
    May 5, 2015

I would LOVE a signed copy!

12. Emily Seals
    May 5, 2015

Yeah, normally I'm all about those "bandwagon books," but this one really passed me by.

13. Emily Seals
    May 5, 2015

Thanks for the advice–I'll probably ever come back to this list if I get really desperate for something to read.

14. Emily Seals
    May 5, 2015

Cait, you finish Eragon and then based on your review I MIGHT read it. But I've pretty much accepted that I need to read Dorothy Must Die–everyone is telling me it's fantastic!

15. Emily Seals
    May 5, 2015

It's good to know that someone enjoyed it. I've seen it on a lot of other lists today, which further discourages me. But maybe someday I'll get into it and find out that I really like it. That's what happened with Gone Girl.

16. Emily Seals
    May 5, 2015

I think I'll have to see that movie. I'm curious about it but don't necessarily want to take the time to read the book.

It's hard to see Rowling as writing anything outside the HP world. I know her other stuff is probably really amazing, it just makes me nervous.

17. Emily Seals
    May 5, 2015

I'm a little bit okay with heartbreaking stuff. And by little I mean "Yes, give me all the feels!" But I'm not generally into the classics, so The Hunchback is really up in the air for me.

18. Emily Seals
    May 5, 2015

Thanks for letting me know–at least I haven't skipped over a book that everyone thinks is super fantastic! I'd be heartbroken if I had one of these on my shelf for 5+ years only to find out that it's incredible.

19. Emily Seals
    May 5, 2015

I've heard a few good things about it, but also a lot of people saying it was boring or not their cup of tea, so I think I'll stay in the neutral realm.

20. Jo Elliott
    May 5, 2015

Fair enough, it's a good movie and you don't need to read the book to understand it. Yeah, I have the same problem with JK Rowling's other stuff.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/05/top-ten-tuesday-3/

21. AJ Sterkel
    May 5, 2015

Great list. I’ve read a lot of these. I didn’t like Eragon or Catch-22. The Casual Vacancy is underwhelming. Margaret Atwood is my favorite author ever, so I loved The Blind Assassin.

22. Lulu
    May 5, 2015

And Then There Were None is probably one of my favorite murder mysteries!

23. I am with you on this list! I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo…… and oh my goodness, was it boring. I barely made it through, and I didn't even bother with the other two books because I could not have cared less. I don't plan on reading any of the others on your list either, so they're good choices to me 🙂

24. Emily Seals
    May 6, 2015

Yay, we think alike! I know I read a LOT of lists in this linkup that just made me sad–so many good books that people are refusing to read! It's nice to know that someone is on the same page as me. And since so many people seem to say that The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a waste of time, I think I'll definitely skip over it.

25. Emily Seals
    May 6, 2015

Hmm. Well, of all the ones on this list, I think that one probably deserves a second chance the most. I'll think about it!

26. Emily Seals
    May 6, 2015

It's good to hear of an Atwood fan liking The Blind Assassin. I might have to reconsider it.

27. Benish
    May 22, 2015

I thought the movie of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was slightly better, I actually saw the Swedish version. I haven't read the other books, but I have no real interest in them either:) <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

28. Emily Seals
    May 23, 2015

I'm convinced that I must see this Swedish version. It shall happen soon!