I know I post about the world of Avatar more than just about anything else these days, but TODAY IS SPECIAL.
It is the 10th anniversary of the franchise’s beginning.
So I just wanted to take a moment to reflect on how amazing this series is.
A short list of reasons why Avatar is really, really amazing:
1) Even though it’s aimed at kids, it can be enjoyed by pretty much anyone at any age. It’s not overly cheesy, goofy, or stupid. (Though it can be hilarious, there is a healthy balance between being silly and being serious.) And even though it’s ten years old, it stands the test of time.
2) While the show is entertaining, it is also filled with real, tangible themes and messages.
3) GIRL POWER.
Even though it was created by two men, it is filled with unbelievably strong female characters.
4) It portrays characters with disabilities, but these disabilities don’t define or hinder the characters.
5) Character development.
You will never find another show where the characters actually evolve and change and grow in the ways that they do on this show. I think this is most obvious in Zuko’s character, but ALL of them undergo changes from beginning to end. It’s beautiful.
6) The animation is gorgeous.
7) The creators put so much thought and effort into it. Seriously.
8) The soundtrack is amazing.
But the non-benders are not lesser-people, like in standard superhero stories. They are equally as fierce.
10) Azula is the greatest villain of all time.
Bonus: It gave way to its spin-off, The Legend of Korra, which is also pretty amazing, even though it has different characters and a completely different feel to it.
Extra Bonus: Appa and Momo are adorable.
Extra Extra Bonus: THE FEELS
So even though I didn’t start watching the show until about two years ago, I wish I could have been there during its debut in 2005. Still, it’s never too late to become a fan and I doubt I will ever get to the point where I don’t love this show.