Side thought: Did I use concede correctly? It’s not a word I have to use very often.
Also note: I actually started this list long ago and then abandoned it, so some of these are already in progress!
I’m not a big fan of series. You know this, I know this, the books know this. But over the past year, I’ve had a bit of a change of heart? I don’t know. I just want to feel like I’m part of the group and conversation and can flail ecstatically with everyone else about a shared interest. So I am planning on reading a few series in the near future.
1. The Winner’s Trilogy // Marie Rutkoski
Finished! Sadly…I was kinda expecting more? I heard such great things and so I went in with high expectations, but I ended up giving each book only three stars. I couldn’t really hop aboard the ship train, and a lot of the deals that were made didn’t make sense to me. I might do a post about it soon. I’m still glad I read them, though!
2. Shades of Magic // V. E. Schwab (in progress!)
I just decided to pick up the first book one day and am now halfway through the second in hopes to be up to speed by the time the last book comes out next month. So far I’m really liking A Gathering of Shadows. I just wish I understood the magic + world a little more.
3. Seraphina // Rachel Hartman (in progress!)
Okay, I read the first book in this series and it was okay? I would be more apt to read the Shadow Scale if it wasn’t as gigantic. And, you know, if Seraphina actually had more dragons being dragons? I want actual dragons, people!
4. Throne of Glass // Sarah J. Maas (in progress!)
I read Throne of Glass last year and didn’t care for it, but then I read Crown of Midnight and really liked it! So I miiiight read the next one and see how it goes. I’m not saying I’ll make it through all six, though. Baby steps.
5. Percy Jackson and the Olympians // Rick Riordian (in progress!)
I read the first two books in this series last year but I really need to finish it.
6. The Wrath and the Dawn // Renee Ahdieh
I got bought of these books for Christmas and the covers are gorgeous and I need them in my brain right now.
7. The Raven Cycle // Maggie Stiefvater
Ughhh I know it’s time for me to get on this. I have to borrow the books from my sister.
8. His Dark Materials // Philip Pullman
I should have read this back in high school when there was a lot of buzz around it, but I put it off. I own the collection now, though, and I hope I’ll be able to just go through it one day.
9. The Inheritance Cycle // Christopher Paolini
I own most of these books and there are actually dragons being dragons and I’ve been wanting to read it for probably a literal decade. It’s been ages. (Seriously, though, do kids even know what this series is anymore? Am I that old?) It just needs to happen, you guys.
10. The Half Bad Trilogy // Sally Green
I hear these are good audiobooks. Can anyone confirm? I don’t own any of them yet so audio might be the best way to go. I also…don’t really know what it’s about. But I’ve heard good things.
11. The Illuminae Files // Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
YOU HAVE CONVINCED ME. These books are scary because they’re so giant, but I’m looking forward to the format and the beautiful pages I’ve seen glimpses of. I haven’t read much by Amie Kaufman…except These Broken Stars which I had mixed feelings about. But I’ll give it a shot.
Series that I’m still not planning to read:
1. The Mortal Instruments // Cassandra Clare
2. A Song of Ice and Fire // George R. R. Martin
3. Maze Runner // James Dashner
4. A Court of Thorns and Roses // Sarah J. Maas
5. Red Queen // Victoria Aveyard
6. Divergent // Veronica Roth
7. The Wolves of Mercy Falls // Maggie Stiefvater
What’s your favorite series on the list? Would you recommend anything that I missed?