10 Book Recommendations For College Students

I was really tempted to put more things on this list that I think you should read during college, like Beowulf or Oedipus Rex or Frankenstein or Hamlet. But all of those were required reading for me while I was in college. For this list, I instead wanted to list books that were not required reading for me, but were good to read at that point in my life. And if you don’t have time between classes, they are great choices for reading between semesters.

Also I know a lot of these are repeats from other lists but…what can I say? They’re some of my favorites.

Today I’m linking up for a Top Ten Tuesday!
This week’s theme: book recommendations for __________.My theme: 10 book recommendations for college students

6514 38447

The Bell Jar // Sylvia Plath
I don’t know how to intro this. It’s not necessarily about college, but it’s about that same point in life.

The Handmaid’s Tale // Margaret Atwood
This has become wildly popular lately due to the Hulu series, so I doubt I have to say much here.

5470 6519719

1984 // George Orwell
I kind of wish this has been required reading for me because there are so many layers to discuss, but I’m glad I read it on my own.

The Great Gatsby // F. Scott Fitzgerald
I went through this book too quickly and didn’t savor it. It’s really well written, and is short enough to read during the semester without a big time committment.

6910629 1226

The Things They Carried // Tim O’Brien
This is not the kind of book I usually read. It’s a mix of fiction and nonfiction and features short stories set during the Vietnam War.
And man, it’s powerful.

Life of Pi // Yann Martel
I don’t think this one needs an intro?
I went into this book blind, and it completely floored me.

830616 331679

Flowers for Algernon // Daniel Keyes
I was just a little too young when I read this and really need to read it again. It makes you think about so many things.

Never Let Me Go // Kazuo Ishiguro
I can’t go more than a few TTT without mentioning this book. If you didn’t know already, you shoudl read this book. It’s my most favorite ever, and the most subtle, horrifying stories you’ve ever read.

13588404 16068905

A Thousand Mornings // Mary Oliver
I think that college is the perfect time to get into poetry. I went through a huge Emily Dickinson and Sylvia Plath phase my first few years of college. I had to read a fair amount of classic poetry in my classes, but not a lot of modern poetry. Mary Oliver’s A Thousand Mornings was published in 2012. It’s pretty easy to get through and is meaningful without being overwhelming.

Fangirl // Rainbow Rowell
I couldn’t throw a lot of classics/adult/philosophical books at you without any kind of YA. Fangirl is one of the few books I’ve read that actually features a main character as a college student! It’s not quite as deep as the other books on this list, but paints a fairly true representation of how the college environment was for me.

–Emily
currently listening to: Green Light by Lorde

~~~
Which book would you recommend for college students?

24 Comments

1. Deb Nance at Readerbuzz
    August 15, 2017

I think this is an excellent list. Funny, as my daughter-in-law, who is just starting back to college next week, was just asking me about one of the books she has to read, Things They Carried! Interesting!

Here’s mine: Can Books Improve Your Happiness?

August 15, 2017

I’m glad it’s included! I’ve never read anything else like it. I hope she likes it!

2. 1984 was required reading for me in college, but I’d already read it twice before as it’s one of my favourite books, so I was more than happy to read it again. A lot of my friends have read The Bell Jar and have good things to say about it, so I may have to give it a go myself 🙂

August 15, 2017

I’m surprised 1984 wasn’t included in any of my classes.
      You should read The Bell Jar! Then also read some of Plath’s poetry because she just has a certain way with words.

3. Rissi
    August 15, 2017

Despite all the good thing I hear about Rainbow, I’ve not read any of her books. At some point I should read one (or two) because a. I do love a good contemporary and b. they sound really fun. Thanks for the reminder, Emily! 🙂
    Rissi recently posted…Top Ten Tuesday | Virtual Reality, Gamers, Gaming and Sci-Fi Reads (aka, the List in Which I know Nothing of What I Talk About)My Profile

August 15, 2017

You must! I know not everyone loves her, but I do. I started with Fangirl but I also love Eleanor & Park. And basically everything she’s ever written.

4. Katie
    August 15, 2017

A few of these are on my reading list because I missed the big classics stage due to homeschool. I don’t know why i haven’t read Never Let Me Go yet, because i was completely captivated by the plot years ago. I did read Flowers For Algernon in school, and I agree that it may be worth a reread.

August 22, 2017

I was in public school and still feel like I missed the classics stage? We read some things like Catcher in the Rye and To Kill a Mockingbird, but all the books on this list were things I picked up on my own.

I hope you get around to Never Let Me Go. It’s my favorite. 😀

5. Lauren @ Always Me
    August 15, 2017

Never Let Me Go is amazing! I’m glad to see it made your list. 🙂

Check out my TTT and my current giveaway

August 22, 2017

I’m glad we agree, Lauren! It’s unlike anything else I’ve ever read. 🙂
      Emily @ Mixed Margins recently posted…2017 Total Solar EclipseMy Profile

6. Alyce @ Everything Alyce
    August 16, 2017

I’ve read and absolutely adored most of the books on this list. I’m off to university in September, so I’m going to make the effort to get around to the ones that I haven’t picked up yet over the next couple of months.

August 22, 2017

I’m glad we seem to have similar tastes! Good luck at university. 😀 Soak up everything while you can.

7. Holly @ Nut Free Nerd
    August 16, 2017

This is a great list!! The only ones I haven’t read are The Bell Jar, Never Let Me Go, and A Thousand Mornings. I’ll have to add them to my TBR list 🙂

August 22, 2017

The Bell Jar is basically a must. It’s Sylvia Plath’s only novel.

Never Let Me Go probably isn’t for everybody, but it’s my favorite. If you don’t have time for the book, at least watch the movie (though the book is better).

A Thousand Mornings is short enough to get through in a single sitting. Maybe on a Saturday morning? 😉 I picked it up because I heard John Green recommend it somewhere (either video or podcast), and it didn’t disappoint.

8. Lindsey @ Lindsey Reads
    August 16, 2017

Great list! Featuring some classics I should definitely (re)read some time myself 🙂

August 22, 2017

I feel a little guilty that I haven’t read many classics since graduating from college. I should definitely reread some of these, and pick up ones I haven’t gotten around to yet.

9. Cait @ Paper Fury
    August 16, 2017

Ahh I love Fangirl! It’s one of my all-time favourite books and Cath is so marvellously relatable. I also so want to read Flowers for Algernon. I need to get that from the library sometime…*scribbles it on to-do list*

August 22, 2017

We need more characters like Cath!

I hope you like Flowers for Algernon! It’s very different from what you usually read, but I think its message is pretty powerful. Let me know what you think of it!

10. Carmen
    August 17, 2017

You`ve included so many amazing books. I`ve read 1984 in high-school and it made such an impression. I haven`t read it since, but I`m pretty sure I`d still love it. The Great Gatsby is one of my faves as well. And Never Let Me Go has such a tragic and beautiful story. I cried so much after I finished it.
    Carmen recently posted…A quick guide to BookstagramMy Profile

August 22, 2017

I think that 1984 has one of the most powerful endings I’ve ever read. It truly stays with you.

Never Let Me Go is such a haunting story. Tragic & beautiful is a good way to describe it.

11. Destiny @ Howling Libraries
    August 18, 2017

Great list! Especially Fangirl. <3 I think Fangirl showed an insight into the college life that a lot of books of that genre don't really touch on – like how it isn't all fun and games, especially for people with social anxiety.

August 22, 2017

Yes! I hadn’t fully realized my social anxiety until I lived in college dorms and perpetually felt like an outcast. Everyone seemed to have their friend groups, and they were all nice, but I struggled to find my space and make friends. It ended up being a pretty miserable two years for me.

12. Anna
    August 26, 2017

I loved the Bell Jar! I read it last year, along with the Great Gatsby. I’m definitely going to keep these in mind for this upcoming year, if I have any time at all for leisure reading…

August 28, 2017

I hope you are able to make time for them! 😀