Today is my blog’s golden birthday. Not necessarily this blog…I didn’t move to mixedmargins.com until March of this year…but of blogging in general. I wrote my first post at To Be Real on Blogger on December 7, 2010.
Obviously, a lot has happened in the past year:
- I changed my name from Margins to Mixed Margins.
- I bought the domain name.
- I took the jump and moved from Blogger to self-hosted WordPress.
- I set up dedicate Twitter and Instagram accounts for my blog.
- I started engaging more with the community.
- I signed up with NetGalley and received my first ARC.
I’ve really tried to make blogging a priority this year. I’ve subscribed more (currently following 86 blogs!) and commented more, and tried to respond back to comments left here. I’ve starting uploading featured images for every post. I’ve tried to post on a consistent schedule.
I feel more engaged with the community than I ever have, but if you look at my stats, you wouldn’t know I’ve been here for seven years. That’s largely my fault–back when I switched from To Be Real to Margins, I wasn’t careful about updating the links, so a lot of things got lost. When I migrated to WordPress, I transferred my Bloglovin’ followers (which was only like 20), but I also decided not to reroute the links. I kind of wanted a fresh start.
I made a lot of my old posts private, so you won’t be able to go back to 2010. Those first few years were just teenage angst and rage. I also made all my poetry posts private in hopes of being able to publish a collection of the okay ones sometime in the future.
My stats haven’t grown too much since the move. I’m up to 30 followers on Bloglovin’, 12 on WordPress, and 80 on Instagram. I definitely want those numbers to grow over the next year, and I will continue making blogging a priority to get there.
Most popular posts in 2017:
- Oliver // First Birthday (& Special Announcement)
- Tyler & Amanda // Maternity
- top 5 favorite books of 2017 (so far)
- books I plan on reading Fall 2017
- 10 reasons why The Legend of Korra is the best ever
- 2017 Total Solar Eclipse
- Why I Hate the Prisoner of Azkaban film
- 10 Book Recommendations for College Students
- ten UK book covers that got it right
- books I plan on reading Spring 2017
I’m going to try to keep my schedule at Sundays, Tuesdays, and sometimes Fridays. This is the biggest blogging challenge for me, but I think being consistent is extremely important.
I’m really looking forward to this next year and growing Mixed Margins. Let me know if there’s anything you’d like to see here, and thanks for reading!
currently listening to // The Girl with All the Gifts by M. R. Carey
How long have you been blogging?
What are your blogging goals for 2018?