– We celebrated 3 years of marriage. I kind of like him more every year. =)
– We took a mini vacation to Florida. Which I summarized here (spoilers: we saw the beach, a dolphin, and ate ice cream). I didn’t take a lot of photos, but we had a great time.
– I tried Camp NaNoWriMo. And didn’t do spectacular but at least I wrote something? I almost got to 10,000 words and was doing relatively okay until we went on vacation. Everything went downhill after that.
– I got a new keyboard. I think I kept complaining about how I hated typing on my old keyboard, and it was during Camp NaNoWriMo, and Deacon decided it was time to get me a new one. So he did. And it’s colorful and clicky and wonderful. And it has a really, really great arm rest. Wins all around.
– I got a lot of stuff for Prime Day. Including Star Wars: Ahsoka by E. K. Johnston, Mouthful of Forevers (ebook) by Clementine von Radics, Six of Crows & Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo, Lamora Beauty Kabuki Makeup Brush Set, Puracy Body Wash, Acure Facial Cleansing Gel, and Amir LED Rechargeable Book Light
– I accidentally tried out Kindle Unlimited. I was looking through the Kindle store and my phone froze and then unfroze and thought I clicked the 30-day free trial button. I couldn’t find a way to undo it, and it was literally the worst month due to Camp NaNo and our vacation, but I ended up reading a few comics that I’ve had my eye on. Now that the trial is almost over, I can say confidently that I don’t think Kindle Unlimited is worth the money because they have such a…limited…selection.
– I beat Deacon at mini golf and bowling. Surprisingly, because I haven’t played mini golf since I was a child. We were going to go to Mastodon State Park last weekend because I had never been, but nobody really felt up to it, so we went to Elephant Rocks instead, then spontaneously decided to do some mini golf and bowling before heading back to Rolla. It ended up being a pretty good weekend.
– War for the Planet of the Apes was so good. I know I keep saying this everywhere but I really want people to see it. The CGI, the themes, the story, the action. I think it was a great close to the prequel arc, though I would also be fine if they continued on. I just feel like these movies are made with such care.
– Why are units under 1 still plural? I may have asked this before, but it comes up a lot in my line of work. Why do we say I ran .6 miles???
– Can we please just stop saying aesthetic? I’m planning to do a whole post on this, but please. Bloggers. Stop with aesthetic. Find a different term or at least use it properly.
– Turf Wars was released last week and I am so ready for it. I initially thought I would wait until all three parts are released in one binding, but pffffft. There is no waiting for Korra. Unfortunately, my local comic book store doesn’t have it (though they’re working on ordering it for me) so…it’s a little like torture right now.
– Don’t go to dog races. Don’t go on cruises. Don’t pet or swim with dolphins. These are questions I seemed to get a lot when people found out we went to Florida and saw a dolphin. Let me clarify: we saw a wild dolphin while standing on a pier. Just by chance. I have petted a dolphin at SeaWorld before, but after learning more about animal welfare, it’s not something I would do again. And even though dog races are legal in Florida (they are banned in most other states), the industry is detrimental to the health and lives of the dogs involved. And cruises are an issue due to wastewater and other pollutants, and collisions with wildlife.
In short: protect animals, don’t exploit them.
— WHY WOULD THEY CHANGE THE US COVER OF RELEASE BY PATRICK NESS.
– I’ve never been into Snapchat, but I really like Instagram stories. I just started using it about a week ago and it’s strangely satisfying.
Rex stayed with my parents while we were in Florida–the first time he’s been away from both of us for over a day–and he did exceptionally well. I printed out a detailed handbook for them to ease my mind. He’s a pretty high-maintenance pupper, and there are a lot of things that we’re particular about. But everything went over really well. He’s definitely getting more and more comfortable at my parents’ house, even around their pets.
Clone Wars (in season 4)
I don’t think I subscribed to anyone new this month,
but I have been enojoying SciShow Psych
Life (meh. Alien ripoff.)
The Lego Movie (I think it was good but I fell asleep)
Disturbia (rewatch – like it)
War for the Planet of the Apes (really liked it)
The Planet of the Apes (liked it) (I had actually never seen it, so I watched it after War)
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (okay)
Darth Vader, Vol. 1: Vader by Kieron Gillen (meh)
Mouthful of Forevers by Clementine von Radics (liked it)
Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy by Noelle Stevenson & others (liked it)
Ms. Marvel, Vol 1: No Normal by Willow G. Wilson (okay)
Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han
Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo
Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
A Room of One’s Own by Virginia Woolf
(still in a reading slump)
How was your July?