– We visited a lot with family to celebrate Christmas. I know this is isn’t really news but we didn’t really do much else during the month because there were so many family events.
(my mom didn’t like our group photo so here’s a photo of me and my sister making angry faces)
– I got a lot of great Christmas presents!
new camera bag
SD card holder
Monstress, Vol. 1
The Language of Thorns
Carry On (paperback edition)
Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara
tarte blush bazaar palette
tarte Amazonian clay highlighter
Physician’s Formula Butter Bronzer
Physician’s Formula Butter Blush
Naga plush from The Legend of Korra
new coat! (not really a Christmas present but after-Christmas sale)
– We got our first snow of the season! It was pretty light, but it also happened the morning we traveled to my parents’ house, so any more probably wouldn’t have been welcome. It was the perfect amount to get us in the Christmas spirit.
– I spent a lot of time on Instagram. I’m still getting the hang of my new camera, but I’ve spent a lot more time taking photos and posting on bookstagram. I’m trying to keep that account more active.
(Follow me @ mixedmargins!)
– I got my hair cut. I kind of decided to chop off all my layers without a lot of thought because they were driving me crazy. I like it better now but it’ll be awhile before I can do ponytails again.
(please excuse my overdramatic “before” picture…I’m only posting it for the hair) XD
– My 2018 reading goal is 40 books. I know that doesn’t seem like a lot. But I had the goal of 40 books in 2013 and 2014 and failed both years, which is why I dropped my goal down to 15 in 2015. When I met that goal, I went with 24 in 2016 and 35 in 2017. I ended up reading 64 books in 2017, but a lot of them were short or graphic novels. If I stick primarily to fiction, I think 40 is a reasonable goal for me.
(I also just like setting low goals so I feel good when I pass them with flying colors.)
– Dragon anatomy makes no sense. Traditionally, dragons have four legs and wings. This makes no sense at all. Most animals on Earth have the same basic anatomy, even those with wings. Neither birds nor bats (and not even pterosaurs) have four limbs and wings. In all cases, wings evolved as part of the existing limbs. (Wyverns are much more realistic in this regard.)
(I’m glad that Game of Thrones gets this right.)
– I love hominy. And I might have actually cried when my mom said there would be some for Christmas dinner.
We took Rex to the vet earlier in the month to get a look at the bump under his eyelid. He’s had it ever since we got him, but it’s been getting bigger lately. It’s a common benign tumor, but we’re going to have it removed next week since it’s causing some irritation. It should be a simple procedure with a quick recovery.
The Crown (finished season 2)
Game of Thrones (finished season 2, started season 3)
The Last Jedi (did not like it)
Jumanji (1995) (rewatched. love it)
Little Women (rewatched as per our Christmas Eve tradition)
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (really liked it)
The Girl with All the Gifts by M. R. Carey (loved it)
Renegades by Marissa Meyer (did not like it)
Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda (liked it)
Almost Midnight by Rainbow Rowell (liked it)
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
How was your December?